The Saenger is an elegant 1,000-seat movie palace placed on the National Register of Historical Places. The Saenger was designed by famed New Orleans architect Emile Weil and renovated in 1976 to accommodate the performing arts. The theater opened on Thanksgiving Day 1929 as part of the Saenger brothers' chain of movie palaces throughout the South. A local landmark since, the Saenger has served as the site of various cultural and entertainment events, as well as the area's finest movie theater. Today, the facility serves as the venue for performing arts troupes such as Just Over The Rainbow Theatre and the Hattiesburg Civic Light Opera. The theater features its original pipe organ. Call for tours or performance information.